Slice of Life Day 19 Have to love kindergarten!

Trying to get kindergartners not to kick or push an approaching hover puck it tough. We were all seated in a tight circle, instructions were given- just let it go where it will and bounce off you- ok release the hover puck. At first, we were all good. Everyone was observing the movement of the puck and not interfering with the movement in any way. Yippee! 21 kindergarteners all following directions, all observing, all raising their…..ZOOM the puck flies across the room. And a shy smile comes from under bright blue eyes, a foot extended as if it just kicked something. “Sorry Mrs. Lovero I didn’t kick it, it was an accident, it just ran into my foot.” How can you be mad with such an contradictory story? And he did say sorry…and they were good for a long time. So we shook hands and promised to keep an eye on our feet and had a class discussion about think before we do and ¬†Wait… is that the hover puck zipping across the linoleum?

5 thoughts on “Slice of Life Day 19 Have to love kindergarten!

1. I can almost hear this kindergartener giving this explanation. I can imagine that this was quite a test of self-control for these kindergarteners! This was a sweet story to share.

• It’s shaped like a 1/2 soccer ball. You put batteries in it and it lights up and air pushes it so it hovers a bit above the ground. I use to for teaching pushes and pulls and friction to the little ones. We were watching it’s path to see if something stays on the same path or goes someplace different when it bumps and the effect of different strengths of pushes and pulls. If you google hover puck you can see many different types.

2. Your line, “And a shy smile comes from under bright blue eyes, a foot extended as if it just kicked something.” makes me think that this move came from an unlikely source. What a way to bring this little one out of his shell.